PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help understanding EE Lightning Attitude Indicator etc
Old 8th Dec 2012, 21:48
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks LFittNI for the additional information

I've found the modeled roller blind AI very intuitive to fly with so far in the simulator. I read an article in the Flight archive which described how it revolutionized the instrument panel in high performance aircraft and certainly that is experienced when using the display in the simulator too.

So as I would understand it, the FD dot would have moved up or down to facilitate the maintenance of the Mach 0.89 climb, too slow and I assume it would have indicated to the pilot to pitch down (dot moves from central index downwards) too fast would have given a similar pitch up indication? (I'm assuming that the power setting would have been already established so the pilot controlled the speed in the climb with pitch only).

I would guess flying at the correct pitch through the climb would have otherwise been quite a challenge due to substantial weight change of the aircraft due to fuel burn in the climb?

Do you know if the FD dot also moved left/right, presumably to help maintain bearing during the climb?

Sorry for all these questions, but in addition to modelling the unit in the simulator, I may also have the opportunity to attempt to bring an example of an actual instrument back to life in the near future, through interfacing with the simulator. So I'm trying to build as complete an understanding as possible, not easy when I have never seen the unit in actual use.

Last edited by Conventional Gear; 8th Dec 2012 at 22:12.