PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2012, 18:17
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In reply to WhiteOvies...

Some of your points are valid depending on the country.

In Canada's case we will not get the fallouts of the project like the UK and I doubt very much the "unit cost" will go down for Canada's purchase.

We are looking most likely at paying between $125M to $165M per unit if we believe the latest numbers which are provided by various US government agencies.

Also I believe and most Canadians believe we should play a secondary role when it comes to world affairs by our military. I for one, do not want Canada to take an "offensive" role (like many other countries) but rather a "peace maker" role meaning once a conflict is stable we go in under the "UN banner".

As such and knowing that Canada is not about to be attacked, an offensive style weapons platform like the F-35 is not required.

However an aircraft like the F-18 or some of its competitors, perhaps the newer generation F-15 would suffice in patrolling our skies with a pretty good punch none the less that would deter an enemy.

Finally it comes down to the bottom line... Money! We simply can't afford that platform!

Last edited by Jet Jockey A4; 8th Dec 2012 at 18:18.