PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair, too low on..
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2012, 07:36
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun ryder
Not quite. Being vectored by a controller on to a runway, is not the same as positioning the aircraft yourself for a landing, takes a bit more thought on the pilots part you might find. God forbid, you might have to think about pitch and power? Hand flying under vectors? Not the same, usually with the FD being driven by the NHP, just following a flight director I think, not worthy of a medal.

My question was simply why request a visual if you are not going to hand fly it.
Isn't it? Gee I didn't realise! You think you deserve a medal if you hand fly a visual approach?

I answered your question Shaun. A visual approach saves track miles and, therefore, time and money. You can hand fly them or not it doesn't matter.

Why don't you try this next time. When you're getting vectors turn the FD off and hand fly. God forbid you might have to think about pitch and power and complying with heading, altitude and speed instructions all at the same time. Takes a bit more thought than simply flying a visual approach, you might find.