PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair, too low on..
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2012, 06:59
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this had involved Swaziland Airlink, the pride of the kingdom, I think this thread would have been a bit shorter. Ryanair certainly attracts it's fair share of scrutiny. RYRs LoCo approach (no pun intended) to business, their loud-mouth CEO, and now also their seemingly agressive legal stance all make sure people will continue to talk about them, and scrutinize everything they do (Disclaimer: I have never flown with ryanair, but I would not hesitate to do so if I had to. I'm not a RYR "hater", I have no reason to doubt their professionalism as an airline, and I believe their safety management system is appropriate)

So let me add to the noise.

BFU report.

16:39:20 EGPWS "Sink Rate" - which was 3240 ft/min at 1319 ft above ground. Bank angle 25° to starboard.
16:39:37 AP was deactivated
16:39:40 EGPWS "Caution Terrain" - sink rate is now 500 ft/min, at 480 ft. Bank angle 35° port.
16:39:41 450 ft, lowest height above ground reached
16:39:42 EGPWS "TERRAIN, TERRAIN, PULL UP" at 460 ft, 600 ft/min rate of climb, bank angle 7° port

images

BFU's account of what the PIC said: (my translation)

Takeoff in Manchester had been delayed 25-30 min, so flight crew decided to land on rwy 24 because of the shorter taxi distance. They prepared for ILS approach to rwy 24. They also spoke about a possible visual approach, in case anything wouldn't go according to plan. They were then cleared for a procedure approach (sic). PIC wasn't prepared for that. RYR documents indicated one could expect radar vectors, and he had always been given radar vectors on previous approaches. After the airport was in sight, they decided on a visual approach, and were given clearance. They descended at a high sink rate and speed of approximately 250 kts to 4000 ft.

[I'll translate the rest of the PICs account later if anyone wants]

Last edited by deptrai; 8th Dec 2012 at 08:19. Reason: typo