PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - downshifting
Thread: downshifting
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2012, 05:27
Swamp Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'Day hot ngukurr nights,

The first thing you should get your head around is your title "downshifting". I disagree. I spent a large part of my career as a Airline Captain and have done just what you are asking, no regrets. The best job in aviation has little to do with the size of the aircraft unless you get off on telling everyone at the pub that you are a jet pilot. That respect died years ago. I got to same place you are, sick of the egos, bull****, and constantly watching my back. It was taking its toll on both my sanity and self confidence. It wasn't fun any more. I decided to get off the merry go round. I now work for the RFDS. I must admit initially the decision was a big call, right out of my comfort zone but I now work for an organisation that treats me with respect, is highly respected by both the community and the aviation industry and I love going to work again, as do all of my work colleagues. Did I mention great aeroplanes, constant variety and I'm helping people. So no it is not "downshifting", its stepping up. If you are not happy, do something about it, just my thoughts