PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Lewis broadband
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 23:03
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Why is changing ISPs such a PITA?
Surely the biggest problem is having to change one's e-mail address - unless using Gmail or Hotmail or similar ?

I'd LOVE to change mine, the local NZ Telecom service, but can't face the issue of changing address.

Last week I was getting no service, the girl in the cave in Outer Hyderabad insisted on my going through all the troubleshooting tricks - which I had already done for myself, changing filters, cables, outlets, and I even had a spare modem to prove that things still didn't work, and she finally agreed to report the issue.

Next day "they" admitted that there was a national problem, albeit localised to my area, that should be fixed shortly - why didn't "they" tell me that the first day - and I subsequently got a txt. message saying all was well. It wasn't.

Won't bore you with the details of five days of talking each day to the cave, the last neanderthal occupant of which finally agreed to "move me up a step" and I started to speak to a familar accent not too far away. That voice agreed to "send a man" next day - which I had demanded from day one - and said "man" told me that "they" had upgraded the service last week and older Modems wouldn't work.

Were "they" ever going to tell me ? The cave dweller was furious that I had been told of the real reason for the problem, said that their workman had no right to divulge that information, then offered me a "special deal" which allowed me to buy a now compatible modem at a slightly reduced price. Big deal. "Cave" said the local line maintenance company had performed the upgrade, so it wasn't Telecoms fault. Really ? who had engaged the line contractors to perform the upgrade ?

Now have new modem working, after 8 days without Internet, and angry letter has been despatched to CEO by snailmail - breath is held.

Oh yes, during this exercise - and before they had admitted to any changes - I was sent another txt. message telling my to follow the progress of the "fix" to my problem by going to their website !! Exactly how ?

Grrrrr !! I would willingly change ISP, but sadly NZ Telecom look after the telephone lines that provide the Broadband, so they would walk away from any problem caused by another ISP - and I'd have to change my e-mail address.

World's Gone Mad.

I blame Bill Gates.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 7th Dec 2012 at 23:20.