PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the P
Thread: Taking the P
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 22:13
bigflyingrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking P effect

Yes I have started flying a single. I started in 1984 and have 960 hours, an AFI rating a check pilot rating and a full test pilot rating on aircraft up to 450 kgs.
Bronze C Silver C and went solo at 4.5 hours. I got all my licences on the legal minimum hours. I have 150 hours on the Auster and have yet to ground loop it.
So the question is "Has anyone measured P effect on take off?" As one other contributor pointed out we have slipstream in there which may mask any real P effect. The fact that more of the coarser blade will tend to be stalled at low airspeed means this is going to be different compared to a twin with one engine out as hopefully he will still be flying.
Some years back I did static thrust tests on a number of props. We found the finer pitch props at the same rpm as the coarser ones gave more static thrust due to less of the blade being stalled. However as the coarser props had slightly less diameter the calculations got a bit problematic. These included the loss of disk area and the variation in tip speed at the same rpm due to the reduction in diameter.
Hence the question to which the answer looks to be no.