PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mercy Flights
Thread: Mercy Flights
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 16:29
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FGD135
Why the great opposition to flying a twin when not endorsed? Those who think this should not be done are demonstrating that they are not very good at weighing risk.
Or maybe the opposite and we are good at weighing the risk. SE pilot is going to be wondering where the other mag key is to start the second engine.
Ok, silliness over, just how would you expect a 100 pilot, to use triple X's example, to be able to start a PA31 and manage the fuel system and just to line up the cheese, in the dark?
Are they doing this Mercy Flight into a nice long runway or a marginal strip?
Is it dark or maybe the sun is very low and is shining into their eyes in this aircraft they have never flown before?
Just to be nice, let's assume the weather is perfect because it always is during an emergency like this.
Is your pilot going to take along someone to keep the critically injured person company and look after them. Maybe we should add a couple of more potential victims to this possible disaster scenario. The cheese is lining up nicely......Oh crap, the gear wasn't lowered (pilot didn't have that on their training aircraft or cowl flaps or CSU or Mains and Tip Tank fuel selection or Crossfeed or to make it even more complex, Turbocharger....asymetric condition here we come)

FDG, this can be a lot of risk assessment to weigh up especially for an inexperienced pilot in a pressure situation. We only need to look how some professional pilots react when flying for scenic operators in the outback (and I an NOT pointing any fingers)

Please do not take offence as none is intended but to put an inexperience M/E pilot into a type they have zero experience on doesn't seem like a good risk weight to me. I felt comfortable flying my multi but I would be very hesitant about jumping from a C310 into a PA31 or vice versa for that matter with zero PA31 time.

@By George. Your Mercy Flight is totally different to the original post. You were experienced on the aircraft. You had a road to land on and pick the victim up from. You also had a choice of reporting the SOS and letting others rescue them or do it yourself. Very different pressure wise than having an hysterical family member pleading with you to make the flight.

@VH-XXX. You 100 hour PPL, assuming he gets on the step and is able to get airborne, may either select Gear Down for his water landing at destination or leaves the magic wheel alone when they land on the runway. I would imagine in either scenario the flare would be "interesting" due to the unusual height our 100 hour PPL is used to.

In the meantime, GOOD NEWS!! Piano Man is found by a pod of friendly dolphins who know of his love of their habitat and is safely whisked back to shore only to find ZDA on it's back in the water or in need of new floats.
Apologies if it has been said before PM, but, mmmm, nice beaver.

Originally Posted by Frank Arouet
We really live in a "Nanny State" don't we?
I think it may more be a CASA Nazi State, Frank. "Vee haf vays und means off mayking you walk".