PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 14:06
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JSFfan,

The Super hornet URF is $66m and the f-35a is $73m in 2012 dollars (LM thinks $67m) I don't know for certain the URF of the eurocanards, but I hear they are dearer
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I suggest that if you're (remotely) interested in a balanced view (versus LM press releases), then you should check out the work of Winslow T. Wheeler (e.g. Winslow T. Wheeler: Primer on F-35 Performance, Cost, and Basing). Or the UK NAO Major Projects Report, or applying a critical eye to the JPO reports.

BLUF: I expect the Dave-A/C to be excellent aircraft IN TIME in their strike fighter role, with next-gen sensor fusion. Most of the time stealth won't matter in the air-ground role, and Dave-A/C isn't going to be a hot ship for Air to Air, but against most 4th Gen aircraft signature reduction will help in BVR. Doubtless you'll be able to tell us the proportion of kills scored since 1960 that have been BVR only, of course.

So Dave-A/C will be made to work (after enough cash has been spent) because the USAF needs it to, and the USN probably wants it to. I've always been sceptical of the rationale for the F-35B - and given the "fiscal beach/cliff" in the US, I'd not be surprised if it gets binned in the New Year to save a lot of cash.

The resulting aircraft is unlikely to cost- including engines, weapons, spares - much less than, $125m a copy (and potentially a lot more). Of course, the more it costs the fewer countries can afford, driving the unit costs higher. And this will raise the costs beyond what some are prepared to pay - e.g. Canada today Federal government cancels F-35 fighter purchase

S41