PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gama
Thread: Gama
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2003, 17:19
GWYN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onthedefensive:

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to pen such a response, even if you do live up to your name!

I was not really throwing out a challenge, more just requesting information. If the only responses show the company in a bad light, then one may draw conclusions. You have taken the trouble to ensure that my request did not result in just negative responses, and I thank you for that. I have also received private messages, so do not believe that what is posted in the public areas is the whole story.

I am not ‘just starting work.’ Far from it! I have also seen this ‘from both sides of the fence’ but have never done anything (I hope) to not deal in a friendly and helpful way with prospective applicants. One hopes and expects that employers want the best available applicant / employee for any given post; indeed the quality of staff is critical to the success of any business, and it follows that their recruitment is a vitally important exercise. If the job of selection is given to someone who is simply too busy to give it their undivided and uninterrupted attention, then it seems to indicate a certain attitude. Am I to believe that if there is not adequate time to talk to people, that a written application will get the attention it deserves? Somehow I doubt it. In any case, from your ‘side of the fence’ I would have thought that with CVs and interviews being notoriously bad at selecting the right candidate, an enlightened employer would grasp every opportunity to find out as much as possible about prospective employees. I do think it unreasonable though if enquiries continue H24, and sympathise with you on that.

Bear in mind also that while the company’s job is to maximise profit / shareholder value within their industry, mine is to ensure that I also get the best deal, with an employer whom I respect and on whose behalf I enjoy giving my utmost. The employer is not the only one in the relationship who has a choice: I also am able to choose for whom I work. However, I need information on which to base my choice, and it is not always possible to gain all the necessary information in the formal and semi-scripted atmosphere of an interview. Furthermore, a friendly chat with someone prior to submitting an application can save me the time and trouble of sending a formal application, as well as saving you the trouble of having to read my CV, if you advise me that my experience and ability would not be appropriate.

In summary, of course I understand the fact that we are all very busy, and appreciate your apology, but to me I am afraid it does not negate the above. I probably should have spent the time writing an application rather than posting on Pprune, but there you are!