PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mercy Flights
Thread: Mercy Flights
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 01:12
weloveseaplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

We really live in a "Nanny State" don't we?

If you consider it that serious, "JUST DO IT" and suffer the consequences later.
Had a couple of perhaps related experiences in a completely different arena - the Dojo. I've done karate in a few different countries and a few different styles and was surprised how often the West is more touch with the spirit of karate than the modern East.

Always remember something that struck me when doing karate in the Garden City. There was a public exhibition of a variety of martial art styles the next day in the town hall. The class the night before was one of the hardest I ever experienced. I wasn't in the exhibition the next day but remember how hard the Sensei pushed us all. "The future doesn't exist. Do what is right is now." He said every punch, every strike, every kick you must give your full energy. He wouldn't let them save any energy or spare any thought for the next day. This went on for a couple of brutal hours. It was one of the best classes I ever had where we couldn't afford to consider the future and were thus able to reach a level of performance not normally obtained. The next day our team wasn't as sharp as they would have been had they had a relaxing light session but we all had the memory to treasure of truly having done our best.

Then in Japan I was in a style that stressed excellence through winning competitions. The night before an important competition the Japanese sensei said "just take it easy tonight. Tomorrow is the important day." During that class I was cautioned for putting into too much energy. I felt like a puppet going through the actions of doing something now while worrying about possible future outcomes.

I was bought up to believe that you do your best now when it counts and was shocked to see how even in the home of karate people in that style had become results orientated rather than effort orientated.

Likewise I always thought the Spirit of Flying in Aviation was to help others, and the key to humanity is helping others.

Love the saying "a coward dies a thousand times a soldier* dies but once."
* in the context of a hero from Shaekespeare's Julius Ceaser

If someone's life is at risk, and you think you can do the job, well how about rather than worrying about being growled at by someone whose life is spent in an office, you man up and try to save the poor blighter.

Last edited by weloveseaplanes; 7th Dec 2012 at 02:34.