PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - downshifting
Thread: downshifting
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2012, 21:09
hot ngukurr nights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some really great points and lots of things to think about, really appreciate all the input.

Snakecharma, I guess it's just an overall dissatisfaction with the airline experience. I feel frustrated with the complexity of tasks that were once simple and are now no longer, indeed I understand as you mentioned why that is as it's part of working for the airline with litigation around every corner and the absolute requirement for having to justify every move you make. I know it's a good company, and I know every airline in this part of the world operates to the same standard, it's certainly not a gripe with the operation but more so the environment in which we work as airline pilots. Bit of a generic response I know but the simple fact is that I feel that it's just not for me. Maybe as centaurus mentioned it is indeed the new FO experience, and maybe in a decade with a command under my belt it'll all make sense. After all, a year in a career is barely a drop in the ocean and I understand that.

I know nostalgia of the old days in GA can very much cloud the perception of what it was really like, and that is why I'm going to be careful and take my time with any decision. Having been back once before I know exactly what it's like, it takes but a couple of days and you're right back there with the same old problems. No drastic decisions are going to be made, I just thought it would be a good idea to get a perspective from a professional point of view as it's very easy to convince yourself in isolation that one way is better than the other. I will most certainly return to GA, but whether that's sooner or later I'm not too sure. Either way, I want to make sure I'm being the best I can be and giving everything to the job, not simply rolling up because I have to.

I think I'd really suit the RFDS or a training role (or both!) so that's something I'll certainly throw in the mix so cheers B58, bear, jab and nomad for the replies. At the same time I think it's wise to hang about for a bit longer to do the best I can, and if it's still the same in a year or so I'll have to make a decision.

Every now and then, despite the crap that goes on here sometimes there's a lot of valuable help and experience out there be it from pilots, ginger beers or interested parties so thanks all for taking the time to reply. You've certainly given me something more to think about.

Cheers all, HNN