PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - downshifting
Thread: downshifting
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2012, 19:31
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I may have missed it, but Hot Nights have you actually said what it is you don't like about airline flying?

Is it the two crew stuff, is it the discipline, is it the "being just a number"?

I note that you said:

"I feel like I'm flying around with my hands tied behind my back as the decision making process has been removed from the cockpit and placed into a manager's briefcase sitting in the window of a small office near the brekky creek."

I guess that means that you are now with Virgin.

I have a pretty good understanding of that Company and can tell you that the management of that company expect pilots to make decisions and get frustrated when they don't.

Yes there are lots of rules, FCON's, amendments etc, but that is just part of operating in this world full of lawyers and people who are ready to complain when something doesn't run according to the script.

I don't know what base you are in but go and talk to your SBP or MLO and express your frustrations. They may be able to help or give you a different perspective to think about. You said you feel as though you can't make a decision. Identify what decisions you want to make and talk to someone. I suspect you will find that there is plenty of scope to do things within the bounds of the OM.

There are also plenty of things you can do to resolve your dislike of airline flying if you can figure out in your own head what it is you dislike.

By extension you must identify those things that you like about this job.

My airline flying has allowed me to fly brand new jets still with the new car smell, around the world. I have been to numerous places that a career in GA would never afford you and that with GA wages you could never afford.

I have worked on projects that have challenged me but when done are extremely satisfying and you can look back and see the fruits of your labours.

I have met people that I like very much (and go as far as to say love - but in a manly non sexual way)and met people I don't like.

I met the love of my life in this job (no she isn't cabin crew) and in short my airline career has provided me with 2 awesome kids and over 20 years of happy marriage - with no divorces (or beemers for that matter).

My suggestion is cast your net a little wider. Look at the things that you can do to lessen the impact of the things you dislike about airline flying and maximize the things you like.

You can do simple stuff by trying to make each flight as technically perfect as possible (without becoming an anal asshole and miserable to fly with). You can use the trips you do to explore the cities you overnight in.

Develop an interest in photography - pardon the pun (a pun which may be lost on modern generations where they don't remember film). Use the flying to develop your photography skills (oops another photography pun) - there is a thread in this place that runs for hundreds of pages with photos

Develop an interest outside the flight deck - and before anyone suggests it is a greasy pole suggestion it isn't, look at ground school facilitation - EP's, CRM/NTS etc, peer counseling, incident support, FDM gate keeping.

If you are really convinced that this isn't the life for you, approach your management and see if you can get 6-12 months leave without pay. Dip your toe back in the GA waters and see how you go.

My airline career has funded good schools for my kids, a decent house, the occasional holiday, more big boy toys than I care to name. Line pilots get more days off than the average bear and as a result can drop kids at school and pick them up again - not all the time obviously, but more frequently than someone working an office job and more than someone trying to scratch out a living in GA.

So my advice is this, you have worked your backside off and gotten into the right hand seat of a shiny jet. Don't get buyers remorse and walk away prematurely. By all means walk away at the end of the process if you are convinced it is the right thing to do, but getting into that seat is hard work and more than a fair share of good luck. You would be unlikely to be able to do it twice (an employer would be a bit gunshy looking at your résumé) which actually raises another good point. A GA employer may look at your résumé and see a relatively small amount of airline flying and decide that you either failed or got the push - and give you a miss as too much of a risk. An airline will look at your résumé and see a small amount of airline flying and decide the same things and/or that you are a risk of doing a runner again after they invest the best part of 100k in training you - and so will give you a miss.

Don't end up with nothing.....

Last edited by Snakecharma; 6th Dec 2012 at 19:46.