PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any future for newbies?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2012, 12:05
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the military, if not bush flying and instructing
Easier said than done. Speaking from experience, if someone has not made becoming a military pilot a priority, it probably won't become a reality. I spent 4 years in ROTC with that as my #1 goal, and it was competitive and selective to get that far. Unfortunately, I didn't get past the rigorous medical exam which was much more extensive than any JAA class, and then I spent another 4 years on active duty trying to find a way around the surgeon general's decision.

In many countries outside of the US, the only way to become a military aviator is to graduate from a military academy, which is usually extremely selective and competitive which I am sure you are aware of. Most of these countries don't have Guard, Reserve, or OTS type of options. Also, a large percentage of these fresh CPL holders in Europe are choosing to not go to university (from what I have seen). I know some countries allow NCOs to fly helicopters, but of course that means serving as a ground pounder for a few years and excelling above their peers.

Also, most of the kids I see who are getting the CPLs are not officer material, nor do they want to be. The majority of them would never understand that military pilots are usually "officers first".

I know that military flying experience is some of the best training and experience one can get, and you get paid to do it too, but realistically, if it is an after thought for these guys, it won't ever materialize. GF, I am not trying to discount your advice, since it is very valuable and sound, but just trying to put some perspective.

Last edited by zondaracer; 6th Dec 2012 at 12:08.