PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Netherthorpe visit
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2012, 11:35
ianwild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a new PPL but learnt at Nethers. It's a fantastic place and the Sunday lunch rightfully brings in the crowds. The windmills to the West and Chimney at Creswell to the south are pretty good landmarks as you track in from TNT.

You really do need to be careful landing, especially on 06 - it's got quite a downslope. 24 is a little more forgiving but in short, throw away anything that doesn't feel perfect and try it again. Also don't let the wind blow you over the village on 24 base leg - the locals ain't that friendly. Light wind is also a pain as people will depart 06 and land 24 - make sure you've had a good listen / look at what's in the circuit and on the ground.

From what I've seen uphill 24 departures are the normal precursor to hedge based trauma / near misses. Make sure you get a thorough briefing; don't start from a standstill on the numbers, don't screw up the basics and (in a C-152 anyway) if you haven't got a comfortable 40kts by the 36/18 intersection, throw it away and figure out why before trying again.

Netherthorpe was a fantastic place to learn and I was lucky to choose it. I love it!

Ian