PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - downshifting
Thread: downshifting
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 23:33
B58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some pilots work their whole careers to get in the front of a nice shiny jet only to be dissapointed in the job once they finally get there. For others, the dream is realised and is or will be the best job they have ever had.

I guess everybody is different and what they want out of an aviation career can differ greatly as well.

I think I knew fairly early in my career that I didnt want the particular lifestyle that is afforded the airline pilot. Although I will never earn the same dosh as an airline captain, I have a young family and prefer to spend more time at home rather than flying all over the country spending nights in hotels. (remember I'm not having a go at anyone this is just my choice).

HNN you sound like someone that may well be suited to working in GA rather than the airlines although I guess every job will have its downsides. For me the RFDS was the perfect way to have an enjoyable job, lifestyle and earn decent money. Its not for everyone but then again as I said above neither is the airlines. Right now my job allows me to work 3-4 shifts per week (12 hour shifts) followed by 4 or sometimes 5 days off depending on the roster, up to 650 hrs per year max and earn well over the 100K mark flying a turbo prop around the bush as well as up and down the east coast.

I guess what I'm getting at personally is that money is not everything but lifestyle plays a big part in happiness when it comes to career and especially family. Except the one night a week that i'm on night shift, I am home every night with my kids which is pretty important to me.

Anyway thats my 2 cents woth if any of it makes sense to you. I definately think you should consider a change if your not happy with your current career path.

Cheers