PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - downshifting
Thread: downshifting
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 23:06
Xeptu

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts
I know exactly where you're coming from having been where you are myself.

In my experience I love aviation (35 years), but didnt enjoy the airlines all that much, it is the reason I finally pulled the pin and had been feeling that way for quite a few years. My most enjoyable time was in the northern territory in GA, flying kingairs. Since then most of my experience is airlines.

The airline culture today is not what it was 20 years ago, I put that down to the rapid growth over the last decade or so, the 89 event and more recently the 911 event.

My advice to you is keep doing what you are doing at least for the next couple of years, holding a command makes life a little more bearable but you're not going to all of a sudden love it.

One thing you must understand, if and when you decide to take action and quit the airlines, there's no going back, so be damn sure that's what you want and GA won't be what you remember it to be, as you age your perspective and tolerance changes, it's unlikely you'll be any happier in GA either.

You can PM me if you wish, if you need someone to bounce this stuff off, try to keep your collegues, particularly the ones you work with, unaware of your true thoughts and feelings, they can't help and are more likely to make it worse for you.