PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory questions
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 21:01
keith williams

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry Anders my previous post did not address this part of your question.

Most of the explanations I have seen for this question seem intent on halving the conversion angle, or rather getting the conversion angle from the ch.long between 030°W and 025°W, to get 2.2°-ish, and obviously that would present an answer more consistent with the correct one. But why is this done? I don’t see how that’s relevant as it would imply that we are flying from 60°N 030°W to 60°N 025°W and then on to 60°N 020°W, in which case I would fully agree with the answer, but that would mean that 025°W was an additional waypoint… Unless I'm missing something else.

To understand why they do this we need to sketch the whole picture. Draw a horizontal straight line to represent the 300 nm rhumb line track from 60S 30W to 60S 20W.

Now draw a shallow arc looping down between the two ends of the rhumb line track. This represents the great circle track.

Midway between the two ends of the rhumb line draw a vertical line down to the great circle arc. This vertical line is 150 nm from each end of the rhumb line track. The length of this vertical line represents the maximum change of latitude between the two tracks.

Now draw a sloping straight line from each end of the rhumb line to the lower end of the vertical line.

Using the conversion angle equation we can now calculate the angle between each end of the great circle arc and the ends of the rhumb line.
This is 0.5 x 10 degrees x Sin 60S = 4.33 degrees. Write 4.33 in each of these angles.

Now let’s look at what happens when we fly from 60S 30W to the midway position south of 25W. We are initially tracking 094.33 degrees, but our track is continuously turning to the north, such that we are tracking 090 when we reach our most southerly point.

During this first half of the trip we have reduced our track direction by 4.33 degrees from 094.33 to 090. This means that our mean track was 092.165 degree. This mean track is represented by the straight line from our starting point to our most southerly point. So the internal angles in the triangles at each end of our track are 2.165 degrees. This is half of the conversion angle.

So in solving this type of problem it is easier to go straight for ½ the conversion angle and work out the solution from there.