PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming BBC doc on Jets and the Cold War - help needed!
Old 5th Dec 2012, 13:24
Rector16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom

That's a big subject - it could run and run.

I'm sure that those older and bolder than me will have plenty of suggestions, but I come from the Tornado GR force so I'll limit myself to issues connected with them.

Of course the Tornado is still flying on Ops (from Kandahar) but it started 30 years ago, so it qualifies as a Cold War jet and we were nuclear-armed in addition to all the otehr hardware in those days - you could speak to that force to get some tales. Start with the Tornado Force Commander at Marham - he can connect you with the Cold War veterans who are still flying (there are plenty).

In terms of locations - I'd suggest RAF Bruggen for a visit. It's still a military base, but not for the RAF. It's an Army Unit called Javelin Barracks (I think), but I know that it is near Elmpt in Germany, very close to the NL border. It was a Cold War base long before the Tornadoes arrived (Jaguars prior to that). The other option in the area is the old RAF Laarbruch another Tornado base in the 80s/90s (Buccs prior). It's now a Ryanair hub for Dusseldorf, but last time I visited the military base was still there - it just had a brand new glass/steel terminal in the middle.

I look forward to the programme - good luck!