PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 12:43
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry everyone, it's been a couple of weeks so I'm going back to mid Nov:

It keeps me in mind of that BBC docudrama back in 2003 " The day Britain stopped" , It dramatized the events after a meltdown of the transport network and the effects on over worked Atc .
One of the most ridiculous, overblown, scaremongering fantasy programmes I have ever watched. IIRC, the whole crash was based on an arriving and departing aircraft colliding with each other. Now that might have happened in India in the mid 90s, but LHR just doesn't do things that way, period.

Well that can be done in the way they did with "Railtrack" in which it was a nationalization in all but name for a start, which we also did with 2 of our biggest banks,
Sure - let's use the examples of Failed & Failed Co to teach success for airport building!

Luckily nobody's suggested a PFI or PPP arrangement for Boris's folly!
That's only because the mandarins haven't been asked to do so yet, because it is just Boris' folly and the DfT know it is a non starter. TfL are more likely to back Brum than this fantasy island, especially as Brum isn't in their patch, and it boosts the case for HS2.

we could already have had - a new London airport; a new nationwide TGV network; three new regional airports; four new shipping ports; and some money left over for scientific R&D.
Where is the case for 3 regional airports? Which regional airports are currently full to bursting?

If Ryanair refuse to use the THA, then they will shoot themselves in the foot by locking themselves out of the London + SE market
Only if the market is already locked by closing it to competition between rival airport operators.

I am sure Easyjet (who use serve CDG for example) and other LCCs would use this airport
In many cases, the tatty older terminals (MAD) or low cost remote fingers (AMS). Even when they are "in" with the majors, they will still have negotiated a rate they are happy with. No chance of that happening at FBI airport - just as it hardly happens at LHR at the moment.

The resulting SW-NE airport layout will henceforth be known as the Silver-Oakervee Airport.
Will you attend the naming ceremony when it opens?
For now, I'm sticking with FBI - Fantasy Boris Island, and about as intelligent as the "other" FBI.