PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield City Airport Petition
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 09:53
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
I know I said I'd leave it, but...

Well they are the FSB, not the FLB.
Small businesses not important? What a stupid thing to suggest.

Airports as going concerns have huge operational costs, so even if the land does have value, better get rid of the thing for £1 than run a loss making airport for donkeys years
The adjacent business park was supposed to subsidise the airport long term, and it wasn't operating at a large operating loss. Are we to assume that DSA will be sold for a £1.00 soon, given the large operating losses there? I think not. SZD wasn't open as a commercial airport for as long as DSA has been.

It was sold to Peel with the promise of a bigger airport at Doncaster, which has thus far failed to support business flights. SZD was in a central location for Sheffield passengers, the conveniance of time saved going to DSA is little compared to going to MAN for greater choice.

Its worth pointing out that it is a number of Sheffield business leaders who are concerned with the circumstances surrounding the closure of SZD.

there are fewer and fewer regional carriers around, certainly fewer than when SZD was operating
I'm not sure thats correct. With a tweaking of facilities I can think of quite a few airlines well suited to such a facility.

I will leave it there. The airport wont reopen for passenger flights because of the way the business park has been developed, however all options should be considered including reopening the facility for GA and business aviation before the runway is ripped up for good.

Last edited by pug; 5th Dec 2012 at 09:55.