PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 08:32
cokecan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
while 'airline commando raid' scenario has some holes, lets not forget that there is not always an SSN on station. most of the time, yes, theres one somewhere south of Ascession, but that does not equate to there being an SSN 100 miles west of the FI 24/365 by a long shot. just because the Daily Mail says it, doesn't mean its true.

moreover, while plan 'A' may be a good plan, there is no - and without embarked fixed wing aviation - cannot be a plan 'B' if plan 'A' turns out to be not quite as well thought through as we thought. we aren't that clever, and we should remember that.

personally, i find the current status of their military, and as importantly, the political intelligence about the relationship between CFK and the military, and CFK's concerns about handing the Argentine military political rehabilitation by initiating military action, fairly comforting - however, i accept that despite having a brain the size of a planet, that i could be wrong, that views/circumstances may change, that the 'in their place' judgement call about risks and benefits to initiating action may be incorrect.

we should, imv, always remember that theirs is a political system the like of which is utterly foreign to us - it is not appropriate to use our system and our understanding of what is and is not politically wise to make judgements about what they might or might not do, and the risks they may or may not be prepared to run, and indeed to attempt to determine what they actually want to achieve.

such things mean that we should be very cautious about deciding that just because objectively our military capability in/around the Islands is some way ahead of their capability to attack the Islands, that they will take the same view, or that they would view glorious military defeat as political defeat.