PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - downshifting
Thread: downshifting
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 01:46
hot ngukurr nights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downshifting

G'day all,

Just putting a thought out there to see if anyone has been through a similar situation before and has done something about it. Before I start, I want to say that this is far from a whinge, it is a genuine call for help from others as I feel my current position can't be maintained, despite the fact I feel incredibly fortunate to be here.

I have been flying for the last ten or so years, and have followed the normal rungs up the ladder and ticked the boxes that needed to be ticked. 12 months ago, I finally cracked the airlines and have been flying around the big brown land in a nice shiny jet since.

I started flying to eventually work for an airline, loved GA (even in the NT!) but always worked towards the jet. Now I'm here and I feel like there's no place I'd rather be less. The airlines don't suit me, I enjoy the actual flying of the jet but not the other 99% of rubbish you have to put up with to be there.

At this stage, I am longing to be back in GA or somewhere outside the airlines. I have for the first time in quite a while, thought about updating my CV and looking around. I don't want to make any silly decisions though as I am somewhere where so many people want to be and don't want to blow it.

I'm sure there are others out there who have experienced this, what have you done? Is it worth sticking around for things to improve? I just feel like maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance, I am well aware a year is not a very long time. Maybe it'll get better, maybe not.

A couple of notes before the judge, jury and executioner move in for the cross examination and sentencing. I am not gen Y, I worked in other areas before flying, I payed for every cent of my training, I respect my colleagues greatly and I deeply value my job and how lucky I am to be here. The simple fact is I'm not happy. I feel like I'm flying around with my hands tied behind my back as the decision making process has been removed from the cockpit and placed into a manager's briefcase sitting in the window of a small office near the brekky creek.

Be careful what you wish for I guess.

Hooroo