PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Match the plane to the pilot & mission
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2012, 22:50
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm obviously biased as a Commander owner, but they are marvellous short field performers and rugged. Obviously, this, and the fact that they're roomier than most twins, means they are not as fast at the very top end, but it's pretty marginal. And if you can find/upgrade to a Merlyn engined one with the 350hp each side, you can fly in and out of ridiculous strips. This is Dave Phifer's 500 that he flies out of his own tiny grass strip in Washington. It has had the Merlyn conversion. Most wouldn't even land a Cessna 152 there!

You can also view a clip I did in my much older 520 at El Monte in California. The wheels are off just before the threshold, which is about 600ft there. Obviously lightly loaded, but not much wind. I think one could shave off another good 100ft off that if one was braver than I am - full flaps and yoke in stomach until she climbers off at 52kts stall speed (power off published). An insane 35kts full flap, full power stall speed is published in the POH. Bit marginal for my taste, but it's good to know it's available as a safety margin.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 4th Dec 2012 at 22:53.