PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 28th Jan 2003, 10:18
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not as such I don't think I.O. Most UK airlines have a Flight Safety Officer who acts as the go-between where safety is an issue. Again it comes down to personalities and whether on not you feel that this particualr individual is approachable or not. I have always 'chatted' to an onside training captain (who has bags full of descretion) about such issues to get their advice from the safety/ how to best deal with it in the eyes of the company point of view. They are usually pretty good and it serves the purpose of having spoken to someone in the training department who can do a little research/ corrective training whilst giving the benefit of the doubt (on the first occassion)! The only problem with this particular individual is more to do with the 'lack' of correction from anyone in training/ management even though he is well known for it in the company by all. That speaks volumes for the management and I for one am happy to have nothing to do with them any more.

Diving straight in to the Chief Pilot can be overkill, but if it's a serious safety breach then you as an individual have a duty to say something no matter how unpleasant that may be.