PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair, too low on..
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2012, 14:57
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this daylight? I hope so, but where was the sun? It's not the first time crews have been caught out by low sun as they turn 180 degrees. But then again, thinking ahead for that is basic airmanship. However, without that factor, and assuming the ILS24 was the last wpt in the Legs page there must have been a lot of VNAV deviation data screaming at them about their predicament. This compensates for the high elevation of the rwy and avoids all the mental gymnastics if Altimeter v Distogo. What does beg the question is why wait so long to correct a bad situation getting worse. It was a bit of a no-hoper a long time before the G/A. An early realisation of that and a quick timely correction is what could have been a better decision. Did they G/A because of the EGPWS or because they were unstable at 500' agl. The fault with the latter is they seem to be in a very scary place at 500' agl. I'd like to know what their interpretation of all the VNAV and raw ILS data was, and what visual clues they had. Ultimately, what it all comes down to is lack of practice, both in Mk.1 eyeball approaches, which RYR decry, and a full understanding of how to use the automatics in ALL phases of flight. If they were descending >3000fpm on autopilot at F5 I wonder where the MCP speed bug was. I hope over the F5 bug. I wonder why they didn't level the a/c on base leg, get it to F40 and then go down. There was still V/S down while trying to slow down, close in. It ain't gonna work, not that close. Drag it up, but that requires having done it or seen it done before. It's not in the robotic trained monkey syllabus. Yes, they went around, but not from the correct point, only height.
To learn from this, for which I hope all RYR pilots do have the opportunity, we need to know much more detail facts, not only about what happened but why.
Remember AA in Cali. The what was easy to follow, it was the CVR that gave an insight into the why.