PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2012, 13:51
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in the airlines do they go blasting though the flap retraction speed? Which airline has an all engines operating policy of exceeding the flap retraction speed by 40 or 50 knots before retracting the flap at a pre-determined height?
The airline world is entirely consistent with what I've posted right from the start of this thread. The flap retraction schedules in all airline are based on speeds. There may be "not below" heights and MFRA's but the retraction of the flap is based on the speed schedule. The heights do not come from legislation (for all the bleating the only post relating to height is FAR/JAR 25 and that relates to OEI at V1).

The argument that this hasn't caused an accident or been a factor in the business jet world so it isn't a problem concerns me. Firstly, I don't know whether that's true. Business jets generally have very good performance on one engine so even if a failure is handled very badly the aircraft will still tend to climb away so there isn't really enough data to argue the point (well, I dont have access to that data). But the argument regarding noise and extra fuel burn applies to every take off - why is this invalid?

I'm hoping to get a 680 manual later today and I'm interested to see what it actually says. If there's genuinely no data between flap retraction and the enroute climb speed that will be a very big surprise to me - I have never seen a manual like that!