PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Middle East Airline has best quality of life?
Old 4th Dec 2012, 09:58
fringhtok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My try at a considered response:

Flare,

Quality of life is such a subjective thing, it's hard to gauge. Your attitude, and that of the family, will be the biggest factor. By far. Are you glass-half-full, like Grizz, or are you a sniping ****** like, that other guy?

Seriously, luck will play a part. I'm on the Boeing in EK and from my perspective, it's pretty good. Like you, I highly value time at home and specifically time at home on weekends. I cope well with ULR flying and recover quickly afterwards. We have several ULR flights that are worth about 30 hours and will keep you away for around 3 or 4 days. You can do two of those a month and that's around 66% of your flying finished in 8 days, max. A leisurely 5 hours a day for the other 25 hours or so will see you at home 17 days for the month. Now, some of those days are ULR STBYs or rest days, but you're still at home. That is a typical roster for me and it suits me fine. For guys on the Airbus, the equation is slightly different but my friends on it are also happy. $ is always a consideration and, again, I don't think it's too bad. I wish we were paid more but we're not, and I can't do anything about it. As a TRI told me in training 'we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto'. However, I send $ home each month- and I have kids at school, a wife who likes stuff and we eat out, have a maid, etc. It can be done.

That's about it for me. As a family guy I would say my recommendation is:
1. EK
2. EK
3. EK
4. Think about the mob we can't mention
5. Have a few beers and then think again before staying put.
Good luck! Cheers