PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 4th Dec 2012, 01:55
QF94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People will not be selected to go based on how much overtime they do.

How many people Qantas are able to release (that is sack) will be based on how many greedy pr1cks continue to work excessive overtime.

We are finding it extremely difficult to push for a 35 hour week to save jobs when some people work more that 50 hours in a week.

It's time for some of our members to start thinking about more than just themselves.
With all due respect, the company isn't considering reducing the working hours by 3 hours/week. This is simply not in the equation. It is purely a head numbers game. They want 204 engineers gone from SYD. Not 204 engineers on 35 hours/week.

Just exactly doing how much overtime is considered greedy? 4 hours at S.I.T? 12 hours SDT/Base? Remember, these are the minimum hours for each section, and generally the only hours you get if you can get them. Is doing a couple of hour O/T shifts considered as greedy as one 12 hour O/T shift?

For all the ones riding high on their moral horses, it really is none of your concern. QANTAS employees have always been fractured between sections, and the company has more often than not used this to their adavantage.

How many of you would have stood as one if the lockout took place October 2011, and you were denied entry into work, therefore denying you a paypacket? I bet there would have been a queue knocking on the door to sign any contract to get back into work on much reduced conditions.

Forget 2000/01 and 2008. Those days are dead and buried, and looking back, very shallow victories for LAME's/AME's. October 2011 was the tipping point for industrial relations at QANTAS. There is no going back.

I consider myself possibly one of the ones first out the door. Anyone who doesn't, needs a wake up call. So, any extra money coming in is more than welcome.

Fedsec, has the company had discussions with you yet? When they do, it will be on THEIR terms. They're not interested in 35 hour weeks. They want a cull of head numbers. Once this cull is done, there will be another one right behind it.

Grow a backbone and some f..ing morals and stand as one with the middle finger proudly raised at management.
As they usher you out the door and say "Thanks for your time". Who would feel better? You or them?

People working overtime helps the Qantas managers manpower model that requires fewer engineers. Thus, it follows that you or your mates prove that the manpower model is correct.
How so? Heaps of O/T makes for a good manpower model? Then getting rid of people creating more O/T? The system at QANTAS at the moment is reducing the number of aircraft, leaving exposed a greater number of engineers not needed. Sure there's some O/T around, but for every 747 and 767 that leaves, there'll be more redundant engineers.

Last edited by QF94; 4th Dec 2012 at 05:51.