PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 23:00
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

You do have this obsession with flight manuals .

You know as well as i that an emergency checklists relies on an OODA loop. Overcome the first three elements which can be difficult enough and if you have them right then the fourth element will at least in theory be the only logical step.

Cirrus could do that with the chute but cirrus would have to demonstrate they can substantiate the outcome. How could they do that when the poh was certified? There was no testing of chute to ground deployment and if there had been the cost would have prevented the aircraft ever flying. We have all been guinea pigs - only now have real life chute deployments started to give us statistcal evidence of whether or not it is better to deploy the chute and when. More evidence is needed although we hope isnt forthcoming.

Time will tell whether cirrus could stand in an america court and argue that if the first three elements of the OODA loop are correctly answered by the pilot then the fourth is the correct action. Until then as i have said before i dont see how you can expect cirrus to go further unless you want them to go bankcrupt at the lawyers hands the first time a chute is deployed and the outcome is less than successful.