PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 22:58
AEROMEDIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bootstrap,

You're right, I don't know what other people's financial circumstances are, but this is a matter of principle.

People working overtime helps the Qantas managers manpower model that requires fewer engineers. Thus, it follows that you or your mates prove that the manpower model is correct.

After all the redundancies have been completed, those that are left will have to continue to work OT or else. In a couple of years, it's realized that the model is wrong, so the managers rehire or contract the work out. Rehiring is limited because most of those made redundant have found something else and are reluctant to come back to a bad situation. This means that outsourcing is the best option and those left holding the fort get the chop as well. There is no separation between AME's and LAME's as you are ALL in the same boat.

As I said on an earlier post, I have seen this happen twice before and it won't be any different this time.

As for 330 and 380 ticket holders, there is no place to hide when outsourcing occurs and it will. Qantas just have to say "The needs of business require it".

The bottom line is that working overtime at a time like this undermines the employment of others.
If you say that the money will help boost the family coffers to last a bit longer after retrenchment, then think about those that have lost their jobs when they might otherwise have kept it.