PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 20:06
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this particular incident while the pilot professes to have had a thorough Caps instruction he went totally against the manufacturers recommendations in the flight manual.
This was a conventional forced landing aiming for a suitable landing and only if no suitable forced landing site exists to CONSIDER the use of the Caps.
Obviously this pilot had plenty of suitable landing sites but still pulled the Caps.
So we have a contradiction between certain training bodies and the manufacturer.
The worst thing in any forced landing or Caps pull is indecision so there has to be agreed guidlines on when or when not to pull the Caps.
I very much view the Chute as I would the other engine on a twin ie it gives you further options.
Where Fuji and 007 Heli have changed my mind are that I would consider using the caps in situations where the aircraft is still flyable.
I hoped I coverted 007Heli into being very cautious in strong winds?
I do consider the Caps lures pilots into flying in conditions where they are not capable.
And here is my second conversion to Caps! An acceptance that a number of pilots are deficient in basic handling skills hence pulling the caps is the lesser of two evils!
But yes the Caps is a substantial move forward in safety lets get some approved guidlines in its use.

Pace