PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 19:35
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not sure how I have pretended to be an expert in anything have I? I've been free and actually very quick to tell all that I hold a PPL and I am not an ATPL EC225 pilot - for example. Except in doing so that seemed to suggest to some that my terms of reference were some how lacking - as you seem to be doing here.

I'm not interested in receiving praise, I'm not interested in trying to compare my flying experience with anyone, my education or my background because where does it lead? Do I have to scan my qualifications, take a picture of my aircraft, the house I bought with my experience in whatever? As I said its like being at school.

My interest in this is nothing to do with trolling but because I have a friend who was/is a user of this industry in the course of his work. Now obviously I agree the ultimate report will reveal all and we all wait to see what that outcomes that brings.

However waiting did not serve people all that well in this case did it? A lot of flight hours passed between 10th May and 22nd October and of course people take the decisions made by the operators and Eurocopter in good faith because why not? At some point in the future Eurocopter are going to say the EC225 is "fixed" and you are going to have to take that in good faith - again.

It is therefore surely reasonable to question the decisions made to date?

I'll give you an example. Look at page 3 of the latest AAIB report and figure 1. It shows the "learned" thresholds for alarms of a sensor called MOD-45.

I look at that data and I'd say that the mean plots for G-REDW were generally lower than G-CHCN and yet the learned Amber threshold is what? twice that of G-CHCN?

Now this HUMS data is something that is being used to give greater freedoms now in terms of flying the EC225 and will no doubt be used to give comfort in the future. Yet there seems to be absolutely no clear picture around these thresholds learned or indeed the fleet maximums.

Then combine that with the life of the shaft in G-CHCN and the stated on going work into the shaft its material and suitability for use in the future and how can you see these genuine and obviously concerns to be "trolling"??? Maybe you can have that conversation with my mates wife and see how casually she takes this.

I've got no beef with you or anyone else here and if my posts on this subject upset anyone then thats surprising given they are driven by safety.

Edited to add:- Biggles/DB you guys call me out and suggest I have no knowledge so how do you see things at this point?

Last edited by Pittsextra; 3rd Dec 2012 at 19:46.