PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 18:59
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No parachute system is really 100% reliable, unfortunately... There have actually been fatalities because of that, you know.
DG I agree no parachute system is 100%, the only fact is that in 100% of the Cirrus Caps pulls to date within operating limits there has so far been 100% success rate.

so whether one or the other is better in a given situation will always be a matter of opinion. What I have an issue with are generalized statements such as "Always pull the chute,
For most the training is not "alway's pull the chute but "consider CAPS in all off airport scenarios" there is quite a lot of difference between always and consider.

However I have made my own mind up that in an off airport landing / crash with an unknown surface I personally have planned as standard to pull the chute, unless winds on the ground are estimated above 30 knots in which case I will make the decision based on what landing sites are available.

This is a decision process evolved over the last 4 years and I started out trained like all pilots, in the event of engine failure or another emergency to land in a field, through training and awareness and wishing the best chance of survival I have changed my mind.

I give 100% backing to this guy, with 2000 hours he has thought through his options and made his choice and is alive and well and unscathed as are his passengers.

He probably did have a reasonable chance of putting it down in that field but I bet plenty here would stuff it up or get a surprise they did not expect with the surface.