PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 14:21
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dg800

- one final (and it really is final) comment on some ground we have covered before;

- do you teach - have you experience of how most pilots get on with a "surprise" glide approach with the throttle pulled on say the down wind leg. I know, I know you will say a qualified pilot should do better - but most dont! Fact, I know.

- you mention looking outside and basing it on what you see. You should be surprised what you cant see from 1,000 feet.

So yes perhaps it is to do with superior knowledge, it is to do with flying with other pilots a lot, it is to do with pulling the throttle and seeing how the "average" pilot copes, it is to do with flying with other pilots the first time they land on a perfectly sound farm strip which actually scares the hell out of them the first time, but after the sixth time is second nature, it is to do with all of these things.

Perhaps you have had that experience but you will forgive me saying if you have then your views are the exception from every other instructor I know.

That is why there is nothing "wrong" with your views and very many forced landings turn out just fine, but you dont seem to have taken into account the whole story. Worth thinking about - perhaps.

PeterH

Dont start - pleeease!

(but happy to leave the fun and games to you now, it is a bit boring, and I don't really know why I posted, should have known it was a mistake he he).

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 3rd Dec 2012 at 14:23.