PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 14:05
Dg800

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is based upon US pilots only but I think that a chance of a fatality in somewhere like the UK is slightly higher. If pulling the chute lowered that 17% to 16, 15% or even 5% (1 in 20) then it is a no brainer, pull the chute.
Call me old school, but I still prefer to make decisions based also on current conditions and not just a general statistic. In this case this implies always looking outside and deciding based on what I see. For example, if I'm overflying a forest and can't glide clear, than it's a no brainer that I'll pull the chute. If I'm 100% within gliding range of an active airfield then again it's a no brainer I will perform a forced landing there.
Statistics are all fine and swell but whether the chute reduces the statical occurrence of a fatality from 17 to 10 percent will be of no interest to you if you still end up belonging to that 10 percent. You should always do what you think will maximize your chances of survival under the current circumstances and not just go by some statistic.