PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Room or Airstrip - your priority?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 13:56
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankly there are few strips where the attractions of the strip are good enough to put up with the inevitable rubbish accomodation....

I can only think of a few chateaus or a huge number of floatplane destinations. To be fair most of the floatplane destinations are either real wilderness or you would be better off in a decent hotel.

I've flown into some interesting strips - but apart from the challenge that is all they are - I've always been left with a feeling of "OK done that, where next". Presumably because I only land where I think I can actually do it (and takeoff!). There is little in that for any passengers.

To add a bit more context I remember flying into Sywell a long time ago - the accomodation was to put it mildly very basic. I thought the whole thing could have been so much better. Nowadays it largely is and Sywell is a pleasant destination so it is on my list of places to stop if I have to detour or whatever - but inspite of vastly better accomodation than it used to have it still does not offer much as a sole destination.