PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a NDB approach not an NDB approach?
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 22:09
Trent 972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overlay Approaches Instruments
Qantas - CASA 64/12
An aircraft operated by Qantas under I.F.R. may use an RNP-capable RNAV system in accordance with these instructions as a non-precision approach I.F.R. radio navigation aid for a published non-precision approach procedure, including a related missed approach procedure.
(2) This means that the FMC may be used as a substitute means of navigation, instead of a navigation aid, where the approach is in the approved navigation database, including where:
(a) a NOTAM states that the underlying navigation aid is out of service; or
(b) the onboard navigation aid is not serviceable or not installed.
(3) The procedure must not be flown if:
(a) the underlying navigation aid had been decommissioned; or
(b) the instrument approach for the navigation aid has been withdrawn.
Virgin - CASA 194/12
In GNSS primary means of navigation, A330 and B737NG aircraft operated by Virgin Australia under I.F.R. may use an RNP-capable RNAV system in accordance with these instructions to conduct an FMS guided non-precision approach (NPA) using a published NPA procedure, including a related missed approach procedure.
(2) For GNSS primary means of navigation, the NPA for the operation must be available for use with the aircraft and contained in an approved navigation database.
(3) If subclause (2) is satisfied, the NPA can be flown without:
(a) the referenced ground based navigation aid being operational or geographically in position; or
(b) the airborne equipment for use in the NPA with the navigation aid being installed or serviceable

Civil Aviation Advisory Publication September 2012
DRAFT CAAP 178-1(2)
Can I fly an RNAV approach?
Yes. At present the only publically available RNAV instrument approach procedures available in Australia are based on GNSS. These procedures, sometimes referred to as a GPS/NPA, are identified on approach charts as RNAV(GNSS) approaches. Aircraft equipped with Technical
Standard Order C129a or other approved GNSS systems may conduct RNAV(GNSS) approaches. Not all aircraft fitted with GNSS (including FMC equipped aircraft) are approved for approach operations and pilots should determine the operational approvals applicable to each aircraft type.

Although many aircraft fitted with modern FMC systems have the capability to fly approach procedures using RNAV based on other than GNSS, including procedures based on conventional navigation aids, the use of RNAV in this respect is not approved in Australia.
An RNAV system may also be used to assist in flying a conventional approach. However, it is necessary for the navigation system upon which the procedure is based to be monitored (NDB, VOR etc.) to ensure that the obstacle clearance requirements of the approach are met, and that the procedure is flown within the tolerances of the navigation system on which the procedure is based.