PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memory Item UAS A330: Flawed
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 20:41
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
In a previous life in sim playtime I presented (to the extent practical) a total anciliary information loss to students as a routine exposure to the problem ie they ended up with nothing much left during the takeoff other than ball and thrust indications (and heading .. unless they opted for the "self-flagellation/glutton for punishment" scenario ..), and ILS for recovery in serious IMC. I might add that this generally was ramped up to a single pilot exercise to maximise the confidence value to the student. It rarely took more than a couple of runs to achieve the joint aim.

I suggest it doesn't matter what the precise pitch/thrust setting memorised is for any given Type/configuration/performance requirement provided that the particular combination is reasonably close to the precise figures for the situation. That way, the aircraft can be stabilised to a reasonable degree and the pilot can tweak things according to whatever other information may be available.

The exercise in our case was to effect a safe recovery to landing for confidence building. Finesse is a secondary consideration in the extreme of minimal information remaining available.

Clearly, one can't run the exercise by reference to the QRH .. the routine figures have to be memorised.

A general sideline benefit is that routine I/F polish is enhanced because the pilot knows where the ball and thrust ought to be during routine flight ..