PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 20:38
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Biz

I just need to deal with a couple of points that you've made because you're trying to make the 601 a special case. The final segment climb is not the same as the enroute segment climb and I'm not sure what type you fly but I strongly suspect the same will be true for your type. What do you fly? I'll have a look at the manual to see if its any different to the 601 in this respect.

Anyway

1) that the flap retraction minimum speed and the final segment climb speed are the same - on most aircraft there is still acceleration required. Of course, if you adopt my logic this problem goes away, because you leave the flaps down until you have reached Vfs

No acceleration will be needed for the final segment climb on any aircraft. An acceleration will be needed for the enroute climb. Leaving the flap down until you reach Vfs is gash because you are climbing against unnecessary drag. In the event of an engine failure you will ALWAYS be below the path you would be on had you taken the flaps up at the flap retraction speed.

2) because the final segment gradient is always better than the 2nd segment. There are plenty of aircraft where this is not the case, because the reduction in thrust from TO to MCT reduces the performance by more than the gain of getting the flaps up.

Which aircraft? Not adversarial, just interested. Its true for all the aircraft I have manuals for. Can you let me know which ones its not true for? Also, don't forget that in the event of a failure once you have cleaned up you still have max thrust (in the Challenger the APR would still trigger) so you will substantially outperform the published figures. By not cleaning up you are throwing away this advantage and I just don't get the logic behind doing that.

I'm busy downloading figures for a 605 and will look at the Global tomorrow because I'm in work and have the manuals available.

Last edited by tommoutrie; 2nd Dec 2012 at 20:39.