PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 20:17
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re OltonPete's comments

I'm exactly no expert in things like this, but I assume the noise print reduction (33 Depatrures) will be because the lengthened runway means that for a given take off mass the flights will be just that bit higher for a given path along the SID used. OK so far..

Now for the awkward bit and I may be on sticky ground here.

The devil is in the detail, and those with operational experience will say I'm grossly oversimplifying things no doubt.

The runway is being extended by 405 Metres to approx 3005 Metres in length plus an extra 150 metres starter run up, giving 3155 metres TORA ofI Rwy 33. I realise in expert's terms that this is imprecise because of Runway End Safety Areas, adjustments for slope and the geometry of the Aircraft turn on to the line up point etc. The actual detail of what's actually been done seems a vague.

And here in lies the problem, 33 I understand. But a lot of the time the reciprocal end will be used and although I have seen drawings where the threshold markings of the 33 End are displaced towards the extended part. the displacement is not as far as the physical extension of the runway - the starter bit being excluded. (I do know the difference between TORA,TODA and ASDA but not in enough detail for the experts ) Edit:I realise that the 33 threshold cannot be right at the end of the pavement

Does this mean that on days where the wind is from the south ? with sufficient speed say > 5 Knots, the full benefits of the Runway extension will not be available. So what we really have is a one way extension? and is this significant for the type of long haul services being described ?

Keeping the expectation within bounds

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 2nd Dec 2012 at 20:31.