PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk in a crosswind
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 19:03
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Janie. I tend to do my 360s on grass, but have done them on the apron. Not noticed any odd tyre wear as a result.

Many's the time I've pushed the Chippy tail-first out of the hangar and as soon as she pokes her tail into fresh air the wind whaps the rudder to full deflection, and the aeroplane stops dead! I ensure the rudder lock is fitted so this doesn't happen!

I also once taxied in a strong wind and turned directly downwind. The wind blew the rudder to full deflection and that brake came on. The tail lifted but I quickly centralised the rudder and thankfully the tailcame down again! After that, I ensure I 'brace' my feet on the rudder taxying in a strong tailwind.

I once pre-flighted ours after she'd undergone maintenance and noticed I could not push the rudder from stop to stop. It would move almost to either stop but could not be pushed further. I double checked the brakes were off (they were), then failed the aeroplane. Turned out the cables had been incorrectly adjusted. Not something to discover on attempting to recover from a spin!

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 2nd Dec 2012 at 19:09.