PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a NDB approach not an NDB approach?
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 16:21
gunshy67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Interesting replies.

The privileges of an instrument rating are not type sensitive. Therefore, doesn't the test need accommodate a test of all the aids that a pilots wishes to revalidate?

The skills required to fly automatics are quite different those required to hand-fly with or without the use flight directors or autopilot........and when considering operations that may be conducted by the pilot in the coming 12 months , isn't it necessary to be proficient in all skills?

The fact that there is no ADF's fitted to an aircraft is inconsequential. Simple fact ....you cannot be re-validated for an NDB in that aircraft if there is no ADF hardware fitted ....Have a look at CAO 20.18.

If CASA are allowing overlays or other such witchcraft without the necessary checks and balances for such approaches then so be it. They are the responsible authority if a future major untoward event occurs.

Finally, ETOPS/EDTO routes have been authorized in the past for adequate airports that are only equipped with an NDB. So should we have not have the skills and ADF equipment to fly such an operation.......... i.e. to validate the "pretty picture" with raw data?

OK. I have my tin hat on.