PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I just read that Goma Airport has been
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 15:06
Mobotu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the ground in Goma....

Apology accepted Temp (Actually my Troll was more offended than I was) - Thanks rcsa for your vote of confidence and chuks for making me laugh out loud!
I have flown for the UN, UNHCR, ICRC, WFP.....and some others that require several shots of Whisky to remember and my opinions are based on these experiences.
I was in Kivu during the crisis and in contact with friends and colegues on the ground in Goma and the situation is not good for the local population.
The main reason the population want to leave Goma by foot if they have to is the shortage of food and inflated prices for basic items.
Coupled to that most of the work in Goma centers around NGO's or minerals trading to which both have been abandoned since the arrival of the M23 rebels.
Banks are closed as well so even if you have money in your account you cannot gain access to it to draw on the savings you have to feed your family.
Also without the Police to "Protect" the local population the M23 rebels are free to go door to door mostly at night taking whatever they wish including women and young girls.
If you have money you can cross into Gisenyi(Rwanda) and stay there else like the majority of Goma's residents you can neither flee south/west towards Bukavu nor north to where the fighting began in the first place.
keitaidenwa - the ONLY reason the UN are worried about Rwanda taking control of the Kivu is DRC's president would give them 48 hours to LEAVE the country and bring an end to their 10 year junket

Last edited by Mobotu; 2nd Dec 2012 at 17:04. Reason: The Troll wanted it's 2 cents worth....