PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth Airport
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 13:55
Bob Upanddown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport Security

You are all talking out of your a@#es.

25 years or so ago, I frequented international airports in my PA-28.
The Flying Show at the NEC reminds me that 25 years ago, it was reasonable (on grounds of both cost and convenience) to fly into Birmingham to visit the NEC or the motorcycle museum. 25 years ago, they let you use the main terminal but, before returning to your aircraft, you went through the same baggage and ID checks that the peasants suffered (bag searched and x-rayed). Then they led you to that special door.

So what has changed??
Now you are handled because the airport can't be bothered with you but you end up with a big bill. But, from my POV, the security is not as invasive as it was. Instead of being subject to full body scans, pat-downs, etc, the last big airport I flew into still allowed me to carry large bottles of water, my leatherman, my life jackets and luggage onto my aircraft without subjecting it to search (or worse, confiscation) because I was not going through the main terminal but through the flying club.
We, in our puddle-jumpers, enjoy a good deal more freedom that the general travelling public.

Last edited by Bob Upanddown; 2nd Dec 2012 at 13:57.