PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2012, 21:41
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crewmeal

Ok, looks like I might have mis-interpreted your post a little, although I reckon your wording did provide a little scope for such an incident to occur.

Nonetheless, I will hold up my hand and apologise.... I've had a couple of long days plus timezone changes.... so might be quicker off the trigger than usual !

I think MacBoero has largely hit it on the head. The reason for Apple's change was, as far as I can tell (because Apple don't pay my wages), purely technical, not commercial or design based.

Many people complain that Apple should have stuck a micro-USB connector on the iPhone instead of the Lightning connector they have. But this would limit technical flexibility, and you would loose some of the physical benefits of the Lighting connector (doesn't matter which way in you stick the Lighting connector, but the micro-USB can only go one way..... I sometimes find myself on a non hands-free phone call, trying to plug the phone into the charger because its running out of battery .... that task is easier to achieve with the Lightining conector than a micro-USB one).

But MacBoero also missed something .....

Micro-USB has a wattage limitation. The Lighting connector can carry a minimum of 12 watts (judging by the 12W AC adapter Apple sell).

This means apple can have consistency across the iPod, iPad, iTouch range, as well as future products with larger power consumption requirements due to bigger screens or whatever. Higher wattage also means faster recharging times.

So when you look at it that way.... all those moaning bloggers, journalists (and PPRuNers, crewmeal and a handful of others excepted) are just closet ignorant Apple bashers who really should have done their homework before posting about "yet more proprietary Apple stuff".

crewmeal.... I offer you a virtual handshake and an offer of peace and harmony ! This is, afterall, PPRuNe and not the Gaza Strip !

Last edited by mixture; 1st Dec 2012 at 21:53.