PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hadley page herald and f27
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2012, 15:07
Airbanda

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I was a teenage enthusiast at Leeds in the mid seventies.

Air Anglia F27s passed through morning and evening on the NWI/LBA/EDI/ABZ bus stop service. From around 75 they took over the Amsterdam route from BA and upped the frequency from three rotations a week to twice daily. The AMS aircraft was stationed at Leeds and was notionally idle between the am and pm rotations. It was however used for crew training so it would either be round the circuit, practising the NDB/ILS procedural approach or on a longer sector to another base. One pilot, I assume the trainer had a very distinctive clipped accent and a tendency to refer to the QFE as 'the fox-echo'.

Must have been June 76 start of the long hot summer, only time I've seen an airliner nearly come to grief. Cannot remember the airframe - there were about five at the time. Departure from 33 and just airborne one of the engines was cut - you could hear it run down. Now whether the trainee messed up or whether, as some said doing engine out practice in the prevailing OAT was foolhardy, I don't know but the aircraft crossed the threshold level and then sank gently until almost disappearing below trees by Yeadon cem. The crash alarm was sounded just as recovery was achieved and the a/c climbed away.

None of us present had a radio so not able to glean anything from that. Nothing ever reported either.

And on another AQ related note here's a picture of an unusual type livery combo:

Handley Page HPR.7 Herald 214, G-ASVO, Air Anglia

G ASVO was wet leased from BMA in spring 75 to cover an F27 overhaul.

Last edited by Airbanda; 1st Dec 2012 at 15:08.