PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Down the Thames
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2012, 12:38
All-The-Nines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Down the Thames

What is people's opinion on flying down the Thames in an SEP, towards London City airport, whilst LCY is closed on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning?

There was last a thread on this a couple of years back, but I wanted to know if anyone had any more recent experience.

Plenty of people at my flying club do it frequently but I've never really thought about doing it myself, I've always worried about the land clear requirement.

However, I was thinking that if I stayed as high as the base of the Class A allows (in this case just below 2,500ft) then I'd have a pretty good chance at gliding back towards the green land east of London, as long as I don't venture too far West. I guess in a real emergency you also have the runway at London City airport? Or would this be a court case/likely prison scenario?

Any other information i.e. who is best to call and ask for the transit of the Class D would be greatly appreciated.

And before you shoot me down, I have not decided to do this yet! Just gathering information and opinions...

P.S. On second thoughts, they might not allow you to transit the Class D as high as 2,500ft as you'll likely have airliners approaching Heathrow inside the Class D at 2,000ft or so if they're on the ILS..

Last edited by All-The-Nines; 1st Dec 2012 at 12:42.