PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Saftey Digest
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2012, 12:05
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a 'suitable' flight school or aviation museum to which you could donate them??

One that would keep them in good condition / assessible for all students and pilots to read.
Believe me - Don't waste your time. It is only us oldies that appreciate aand yearn for Mac Job's Aviation Safety Digests of yesteryear. I went to a lot of trouble many years ago at Essendon where in those days there were several flying schools. I had lots of flight safety magazines including the dozens of ASD's that I gave to a couple of flying schools wrongly presuming students would seize them and avidly read the good gen. After all, many of the accident reports applied to the aircraft they were currently training on.

Big mistake. A month or so later I dropped in and found the magazines tossed into a corner and gathering dust and obviously unread or discarded. To me those ASD's were priceless but obviously not to the then current generation of students. I gave it another month and went back. The mags were still untouched in the same corner of the briefing rooms.

I thought `Stuff 'em" and carefully gathered the mags together and took them back home where they are to this day. I still read them. I am quite convinced today's students are simply not interested in old flight safety pubs. Maybe the odd enthusiast here and there, but they are a rarity. And I might add, that includes today's generation of airline pilots. They prefer Facebook and other social media.

Last edited by Centaurus; 1st Dec 2012 at 12:20.