PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - El Al pilot arrested at JFK airport.
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2012, 09:54
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypothetically, the police officer could have taken him aside, and said something like this

"Sir, I'm going to take your baton, and dispose of it. This time I am not going to charge you for possession of an illegal weapon. I understand that your intentions may be good, but we are all required to follow the (local) law, and regulations. Do not do this again.

I am a sworn peace officer, and unlike you, I am allowed to carry a baton in New York. I may even be required to carry one one. But when I am flying, I am not allowed to bring batons on board aircraft, even if my intentions are good. This may seem strange, and contradictory. After all, you may have a fire-axe in your cockpit, and I may be allowed to bring my gun on certain flights if I follow the right procedure, and there may even be armed law enforcement personnel on your aircraft. However the fire axe, and any weapons were placed on board the aircraft in accordance with laws, regulations, and SOPs.

Regulations, laws, and SOPs are not perfect, but they are the result of well thought-out, structured processes. And they apply to everyone. Except for very exceptional circumstances - certain emergencies - we as individual need to adhere strictly to them. You are clearly not in any emergency right now.

I am sure you understand. So let this be a warning. In New York we take illegal weapons very seriously. Next time you will probably meet a police officer who is less lenient".

Last edited by deptrai; 1st Dec 2012 at 10:10.